Re: OpenSSL project is considering to close this mailing list

(I personally have nothing to say except ML yes.)

Richard Levitte wrote in
 <877cvbh79m.wl-levitte@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
 |On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 23:06:35 +0100,
 |Dennis Clarke via openssl-users wrote:
 |Sadly...  my inboxes got bloated, I simply had too much traffic going
 |on to really keep up.  When we moved our development methods to Github

But not on openssl-dev .. and if, then only because bug tracker
items were also posted (:))?

 |with its PR workflow, I more or less abandoned email for public OpenSSL
 |dev related stuff.  It's simply less painful to have a permanent tab
 |with https://github.com/notifications that I go look at regularly.

That i did not understand.  Where is the difference in between
a graphical window with github notifications (that i never have
seen) and a -issue only mailbox looked at in a graphical mail
viewer?

I would have understood "it is all nicely scripted and there is
nothing much to do except clicking around".  Ok.
(The emacs community now seems to have implemented a plain text
format which offers this :-))

(I personally was "shocked" to see that the trivial patch
i "issue"d caused lots of VM spin ups and needless test runs.
The only "ok" from my side is that OpenSSL is so critical to the
entire infrastructure .. of the internet as such .., but such
a waste of energy, i would rather not cause automatically.
Isn't that "too fat"?  I mean it saves you as a developer one
"test-compile this" click, shall github offer such
differentiations.)

Now .. all this could be implemented by replying to an issue email
with a specific tag that the ML software filters out.
Of course: that had to be done.

But you are the developers, and you have chosen this way.
So it may be.

 |I've generally stopped signing up on mailing lists, and am slowly
 |unsubscribing from quite a few, in an effort to make my inbox a less
 |painful endeavour to look at.

That i buy, too.  Of course.  The dnsmasq developer said something
like "[i] do not read the emails for some time, but it distracts
me from coding".  That felt familiar.  (And not to talk about so
many things and standards that really should be read in addition.)

 |I do still occasionally respond on this ML, when a subject line gets
 |my attention, but that's really quite rare.  My main dev activity is
 |squarely using git, and hanging on Github.  (and mind you, the same
 |goes for most projects I keep an eye on, so I have a gitlab.com tab
 |as well for the few that I follow that are there)

I am always happy when i can quit the browser so that the
containment goes home.  Here i have "4:37°/1:42° | 0.26 1/246",
and a display brightness of 3%.  But i am only from a very small
corner of the software infrastructure, indeed.

--steffen