openssl and pluggable engine digests

Hello,

I need to create a certificate request using a pluggable engine, in my case it's GOST, that I built in LibreSSL and attached to OpenSSL 3.0.x.

So, in LibreSSL, say, I have a call like

openssl req -newkey gost2001 -pkeyopt dgst:streebog256 -pkeyopt paramset:A -streebog256 \
-nodes -subj "/C=Some/ST=Some/O=FooBar LLC/CN=John Doe/emailaddress=doe@xxxxxxx" \
-keyout /tmp/key.pem -out /tmp/csr.pem -utf8

and it pretty much does the job. But OpenSSL 3.0.x doesn't recognize the streebog256 as the acceptable digest:

Key parameter error "dgst:streebog256"

That is because it's manual page clearly states:

"The engine is not used for digests unless the -engine_impl option is used or it is configured to do so, see "Engine Configuration Module" in config(5)."

Funny thing is, the config(5) manual page doesnt'y say a word about configuring digests (I was able to configure gost as an engine for default loading as there are plenty of examples).

So, when using openssl dgst with both -engine gost and -engine_impl gost I can see the needed streebog256 as valid digest but how do I do this while calling openssl req or when using openssl.cnf ?

Thanks.

Eugene.