Partial SSL algorithm fetching from providers

Hi

Let’s assume that I have a custom provider that supports only RSA signature/verification and I want to use it in an SSL/TLS connection. But Since SSL/TLS needs other cryptography operation such as symmetric encryption/decryption and key exchange too, I want to fall-back on FIPS(or default) module for these operations.

I have used a code like this to load my provider and fall-back provider and connect them to SSL context:

lib = OSSL_LIB_CTX_new();

defctxnull = OSSL_PROVIDER_load(NULL, "null");

OSSL_LIB_CTX_load_config(lib, "prov.cnf");

SSL_CTX *ctx = SSL_CTX_new_ex(lib, NULL, method);

From the logs inside my provider, I have noticed that my code works as I want. Signature is done by my provider and rest of operations by my fall-back provider. But the problem is that I don’t understand how the fetching of signature algorithm happens here. How is it guaranteed that my provider’s signature/verification is used rather than signature/verification that is surely available in fall-back provider too? I cannot resolve it by query string because if I use a query string like this:

SSL_CTX *ctx = SSL_CTX_new_ex(lib, “provider=myprov”, method);

openssl will not match algorithms from fall-back module and since my provider does not implement everything, I will not be able to use SSL/TLS.

Any idea how I can guarantee that only signature/verification of SSL/TLS happens from my provider?

Best Regards,

Afshin

This email is confidential and may contain information subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient please advise us of our error by return e-mail then delete this email and any attached files. You may not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way. The views expressed in this email may not be those of Gallagher Group Ltd or subsidiary companies thereof.