RE: Best Practices for private key files handling

Exactly. In most protocols the public key, not the private key, authenticates the peer.

Relying on file system metadata (!) as the root of trust for authentication, particularly for an application that may be running with elevated privileges (!!), seems a marvelously poor design.

> > Otherwise, the owners of the system can't claim non-repudiation as to
> > the genuine provenance of communication.

I'm with Peter Gutmann on this. Non-repudiation is essentially meaningless for the vast majority of applications. But in any case, filesystem metadata is a poor foundation for it.

> More information is needed about how you're system is working to comment
> on this.

Indeed. This is far from clear here.

--
Michael Wojcik