Re: why does RAND_add() take "randomness" as a "double"?

On 5/21/2019 10:15 AM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
[snip]

Can someone please explain what is gained by using a floating point type
here?

Is it really a relevant use case that entropy is fed from an external
source to OpenSSL such that truncating the amount to a whole number of
bits would cause significant lossage? (Admittedly, it could be relevant
if the individual randomness bit counts were in the (0, 1) interval,
both boundaries exclusive.)

Using floating point for randomness representation is a problem for
environments that prefer to avoid floating point altogether, such as
edk2 ("UEFI") firmware

I agree, and I reported this back in 2016. We also have an environment that does not have floating point.