Re: Using (not building) openssl with mingw on Windows 10

On 3/20/2019 12:41 PM, Michael Wojcik wrote:

Sounds like you might have import libraries there. Does "ar t libcrypto.lib" show a bunch of .obj members, or a bunch of .dll members? If it's the latter, then it's just an import library that tells the linker what DLL needs to be loaded at runtime.

ar t libcrypto.lib returns about 4100 lines of:

libcrypto-1_1-x64.dll
libcrypto-1_1-x64.dll

So it's an 'import library'. But I get link errors, with each openssl function missing.

Any clues?

We build static (non-import) OpenSSL libraries for Windows, but at least for 1.0.2 we had to tweak the configuration process. The stock Configure wanted to link OpenSSL with the static Microsoft C runtime if you were building static libraries, whereas we wanted static libraries linked with the dynamic runtime. (I don't remember offhand if we had to do the same for 1.1.1.)

I'm not building OpenSSL.  I use Shining Light, because I don't want to
ship OpenSSL with my code and I certainly don't want to require
my users to build it.