Re: Question on necessity of SSL_CTX_set_client_CA_list

>    > Quoting from Peter Gutmann's "Engineering Security",
>    > section "EV Certificates: PKI-me-Harder"
>    >
>    >      Indeed, cynics would say that this was exactly the problem that
>    >      certificates and CAs were supposed to solve in the first place, and
>    >      that “high-assurance” certificates are just a way of charging a
>    >      second time for an existing service.
>
>    Peter Gutman, for all his talents, dislikes PKI with a vengeance.
>     EV is a standard for OV certificates done right.  Which involves more
>    thorough identity checks, stricter rules for the CAs to follow etc.
>
>     The real point of EV certificates is to separate CAs that do a good
>    job from those that do a more sloppy job, without completely distrusting
>    the mediocre CA operations.

So, a CA that's supposed to validate its customer before issuing a certificate, may do a "more sloppy job" if he doesn't cough up some extra money.

I think Peter is exactly right here. CA either do their job, or they don't. If they agree to certify a set of attributes, they ought to verify each one of them.