Re: how to block brute force attacks on reverse tunnels?

On 25.04.24 17:15, openssh-unix-dev-request@xxxxxxxxxxx digested:
Subject: how to block brute force attacks on reverse tunnels?
From: Steve Newcomb <srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25.04.24, 17:14

For many years I've been running ssh reverse tunnels on portable Linux,
OpenWRT, Android etc. hosts so they can be accessed from a server whose
IP is stable (I call such a server a "nexus host"). Increasingly there's
a problem with brute force attacks on the nexus host's tunnel ports. The
attack is forwarded to the portable tunneling host, where it fails, but
it chews up a lot of resources and wants to be stopped. At the portable
tunneling host, fail2ban can't be used to block the attacker's IP because
when the attack arrives, it appears to the ssh daemon to be arriving from
localhost (127.0.0.1). I'm not sure the attacker's IP can even be known
at the portable host (openssh developers: can it?), and anyway it needs
to be blocked by the nexus host before it can chew up yet more bandwidth.

I take it that checking users/clients as they show up at the hub server's door in the first place is, for some reason, infeasible?

(We have solutions in prod where devices on customer premises similarly create a tunnel(-end) on our server to connect to their sshd, *but* users have to authenticate as they SSH or VPN to that server in the first place and the tunnel is restricted to localhost or VPN client pool IPs.)

Kind regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur