Re: D-bus integration

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024, Krzysztof Kowalski wrote:

> Dear OpenSSH developers,
>
> I was looking at the fail2ban project and had an idea that instead of parsing
> log files it could be possible to notify interested parties (like fail2ban)
> via (for instance) D-bus about a failed login attempt.
>
> Other application could also use this protocol to notify about suspect
> behaviors. A central functionality will allow for other (new) projects to
> integrate without much effort.
>
> What do you think?

As others have mentioned, we're really not in the mood for more library
dependencies right now. However, some people have asked for platform
features that would require D-bus support. I don't know much about the
D-bus protocol, but if a small D-bus client is just opening a unix domain
socket and writing a message to it then we could possibly support it
using a standalone implementation, like we just did for systemd.

-d