Re: ssh wish list?

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 03:05:20PM -0400, Chris Rapier wrote:

[snip]

> I don't think the actually banning part would be all that hard. It's
> everything that goes along with it in terms of managing things and making
> sure it would be performant enough in high volume scenarios.

I've tried hard to not jump in here and (obviously) failed.

At the risk of protracting an already overlong sub-thread on this topic,
I believe the unstated assumption (from my perspective) being missed
behind this feature request is that fail2ban and others would move to
this new API, and not use logs anymore -- not that openssh grows fail2ban
features. In a perfect world this means there's a new, stable API that
all the fail2ban-alikes and local programs use, and the ssh project can
be free to modify log output without worrying about breaking every
security stack.

Whether or not that is true is a different issue, as is the stability of
the log message format "de-facto API".

(this time actually out, for real)
  paultag

--