Re: Two big flaws in the `configure` script -- have located them, cannot fix

On Thu, 7 Sept 2023 at 15:07, Gordon Steemson <gsteemso@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to install OpenSSH and have run into two different things
> that cause the `configure` script to come to a violent halt.  The
> first is caused by the zlib version check; zlib 1.3 has only two
> components in its version number and so fails the test for "exactly
> three or exactly four" such components.

This was fixed after the last release
(https://github.com/openssh/openssh-portable/commit/cb4ed12)
a couple of days after the zlib release.

> The second problem is more serious.  While I can find no reason for
> the code that checks the OpenSSL library version to fai[...]
> I hope you folks have better luck investigating this than I've had.

That's unlikely since you have not provided any details that might
allow us to do so, including but not limited to: what the error
message was,
the OS/platform, compiler, OpenSSL implementation and version,
configure options, CFLAGS/LDFLAGS, what the config.log contained.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA