Two big flaws in the `configure` script -- have located them, cannot fix

Hi there,

I'm trying to install OpenSSH and have run into two different things
that cause the `configure` script to come to a violent halt.  The
first is caused by the zlib version check; zlib 1.3 has only two
components in its version number and so fails the test for "exactly
three or exactly four" such components.  I am not an M4 programmer and
cannot figure out how to both edit the code and have the change
actually take effect.

Luckily for me, you include a switch to bypass the check, but it's
still very irritating.

The second problem is more serious.  While I can find no reason for
the code that checks the OpenSSL library version to fail, it
nevertheless is failing; it keeps whining about not being able to find
the version number, when it's right there in the same place the script
is looking for it.  I have no idea why that would happen, but I can't
compile OpenSSH because of this seeming brain damage in the execution
of the configure script.

I hope you folks have better luck investigating this than I've had.

Sincerely,
Gordon Steemson
--
The world’s only gsteemso