Re: Multiple AllowGroup lines in sshd_config?

On 02/03/2023 16:11, Erik Thuning wrote:
am wondering about sshd's behaviour when encountering multiple AllowGroup lines.

The manual states "For each keyword, the first obtained value will be used.", so that gives me the impression that any lines after the first should be ignored. However, my testing seems to contradict this - if I have two lines granting access to different groups, both groups get access.

So it seems like these are equivalent:

AllowGroups foo bar

AllowGroups foo
AllowGroups bar

Is this behaviour to be expected?

I see the same as you, but I think it's to be expected.  There are other settings like HostKey and AcceptEnv which can be repeated and which are combined into a list of values.

You can see this if you run /usr/sbin/sshd -T

hostkey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
hostkey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key
hostkey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ed25519_key
allowgroups redis
allowgroups brian
acceptenv LANG
acceptenv LC_*

I get the same whether I use

AllowGroups redis brian

or

AllowGroups redis
AllowGroups brian

Similarly, if I put "AcceptEnv blah" then this is added to the other AcceptEnv settings - it does not override them (and I don't know how to empty the list).

I agree that the "For each keyword..." note in the sshd_config manpage could be misleading for these cases.

Regards,

Brian.