Re: Difference in buffer behaviour between 8.89 and 8.9?

Honestly, I don't know. It shouldn't grow any larger than buf->max_size which seems to have a hard limit of 134,217,728 bytes. That said, in memory constrained systems the TCP receive buffer probably isn't going to be large enough for this really to make a difference.

Ideally I'd like to set the growth of the buffer to be a function of the tcp receive buffer. I am getting that information in hpnssh but getting the extern from channels.c to sshbuf.c is causing a weird link error in sshkey.c. I haven't nailed that down yet.

Note: resetting the CHAN_SES_DEFAULT_WINDOW to the size in the patch is just to demonstrate the problem. If you aren't making that buffer bigger than it's current size (of 2MB) this should never be an issue.

It is an issue for my work in hpnssh because we dynamically adjust SSH's receive buffer to match auto-tuning TCP receive buffers in order to maximize throughput.

The main thing is that there was a change in how the buffers are handled between 8.8 and 8.9 that could, in some cases, end up impacting performance.