Re: SCP with Resume Feature

On 4/6/21 10:04 PM, Damien Miller wrote:
On Tue, 6 Apr 2021, rapier wrote:

Looking at the performance - on my systems sftp seems to be a bit slower
than scp when dealing with a lot of small files. Not sure why this is
the case as I haven't looked at the sftp code in years.

the OpenSSH sftp client doesn't do inter-file pipelining - it only
pipelines read/writes within a transfer, so each new file causes a
stall.

This is all completely fixable on the client side, and shouldn't apply
to things like sshfs at all.

Gotcha. Is this because of how it sequentially loops through the readdirs in two _dir_internal functions? If so I'm wondering if you could spawn per file threads to get some concurrency within a directory. Just curious and this is the first time I've looked at the sftp code in years. I hope you don't mind the questions.

Chris