Re: Relaiable ssh tunnel via systemd

Am 16.03.2017 um 00:48 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 5:13 AM, Thomas Güttler
<guettliml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

and much more modular
configuration for multiple parallel autossh daemons without having to
hand edit and customize systemd init scripts.

We use configuration management to create and update systemd unit
configuration files.
I don't see how autossh can help here. Do you have an example?

I found the logging in /var/log/autossh{-instancename}, and the
management of multiple autossh configurations, to be much more
manageable and reportable through configuraiton managed
/etc/sysconfig/autossh{-intancename} files than  via the confusing and
Linux-kernel-only logging of systemd. I found authorship and
maintenance of those files, *outside* of the SELinux and default
systemd configurations, to be far more flexible and reliable for my
uses. And even debugging the "ssh client is getting restarted too fast
and port isn't released" was painful when I encountered it in similar
environments.

I can't follow. My brain is still focused on the question: Why autossh?

You've taken the time to say that you have systemd configured through
a separate management tool. For me, this is one of many instances for
which I find sytemd's centralization and merging of all logging into a
single log repository awkward and unnecessary.

So please allow me to invert the question. What logging benefit or
maintenance benefit are you gaining from inserting autossh instance
specific configurations into systemd init files, and losing the
segregation of autossh logs into individually parseable and reviewable
log files?

Of course, I like questions.

I like simple systems. If I can avoid a daemon, then I do it.

Systemd is the process-Supervisor on my operating system. If there
are no good reasons for an other process-Supervisor, then I use systemd.

Logging via systemd is no problem for me.

One reason to use autossh is the ugly ExecStartPre which I use to kill and old
tunnel.

Regards,
  Thomas Güttler

--