Re: Relaiable ssh tunnel via systemd

Am 14.03.2017 um 21:43 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Thomas Güttler
<guettliml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 14.03.2017 um 15:10 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
Look into the "autossh" program, which is very good to manage and
maintain such tunnels.

Hi Nico and other ssh users,

Systemd restarts the ssh if it terminates. AFAIK this is all that is needed.

But maybe I am missing something. Is there a feature of autossh that I don't
get with systemd?

Better logging, especially error reporting,

I am happy with the messages which gets passed from the ssh process to systemd.
Could you please provide an example, since I fail to see what autossh does better.

and much more modular
configuration for multiple parallel autossh daemons without having to
hand edit and customize systemd init scripts.

We use configuration management to create and update systemd unit configuration files.
I don't see how autossh can help here. Do you have an example?

I've had some success
with using chef to manage it, along with deploying SSH configurations
to avoid the "known_hosts" mismatched hostkey issues as target hosts
change IP address, and to get management of the relevant public and
private SSH keys for the port forwarding.

I can't follow. My brain is still focused on the question: Why autossh?

Regards,
  Thomas

--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/