Re: Private key not being found for openconnect? How to fix?

On Fri, 2019-05-10 at 12:24 +0900, Ramses Ramirez wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've have installed openconnect v7.08 on my Centos 7.6 PC through the
> epel repository. However, I  run into problems with the server not
> being able to load my certificate in the given location (see below).
>
> I did a "yum list | grep [package]" and find that I have the required
> packages for installation (libxml2, zlib, openssl, and pkg-config).
>
> However, It looks like it is not finding my .pem certificate file. Is
> it a permissions issue or something else? I believe I am using GnuTLS
> instead of openssl (and I don't have a libp11 library from what I can
> tell anyway)
> Thank you for your help in advance.
>
> $ openconnect -c /etc/ssh/rsa_private_key.pem xxx.xxx.xxx.x:10443
> POST https://xxx.xxx.xxx.x:10443/
> Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.x:10443
> Failed to open HTTPS connection to xxx.xxx.xxx.x
> Failed to obtain WebVPN cookie
> $

It isn't finding your certificate because you haven't given it one.
What you've given it is a private key.

The private key is what actually does the cryptographic operation — it
can sign something, and we know that signature can *only* have been
produced by whoever/whatever has access to the private key.

A certificate is something different. The certificate is a promise,
signed by some other third party (a certificate authority or other
"issuer", about the identity of whoever/whatever owns the corresponding
private key.

Typically, SSH doesn't use certificates for its host keys. It remembers
the actual *key* of the hosts you connect to, or finds them in DNS or
something. I'd be surprised if you had a certificate which was issued
to your SSH private host key.

Of course it's *possible*, and maybe your organisation's VPN
certificate provisioning process does use the SSH host key for its
private key. But in that case you should have the certificate
somewhere.