Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: What throughput is reasonable?

On Thu, 2019-04-18 at 21:16 +0000, Phillips, Tony wrote:
> Also of note is that when you do your tests, you’re getting CPU/bound
> at 100%.  I never paid much attention to overall CPU until I saw your
> stats last week.
>
> We can’t get OC to run over maybe 35%.
>
> This may boil down to how we have vSphere configured (or VMWare in
> general versus AWS’s hypervisor).

Hm, it's only single-threaded but it's supposed to spend *all* of its
time shovelling packets out the interface, never sleeping when it has
work to do.

Where's the rest of the CPU time going? Is that 35% only counting
userspace? Is there a lot of steal time spent in the hypervisor? Is the
hypervisor actually *limiting* the amount of time a given vCPU can
have?

Seeing another run of (sudo perf report -g `pidof lt-openconnect`)
which starts the moment after you start an iperf UDP test, and finished
a moment before iperf finishes, might be enlightening.