Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: What throughput is reasonable?

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 10:35 PM David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-04-04 at 22:28 +0300, Daniel Lenski wrote:
> > Taking a step back here…
> >
> > You and David have already resolved the issue with packets being
> > dropped at a high rate, so *what else* could be left that's plausibly
> > limiting the throughput of the VPN?
>
> It's vaguely possible that OpenConnect is sending too-large packets
> which get fragmented in transit, thus taking a lot more time. Although
> I thought we eliminated that.

I thought so as well. I'd still be interested to know if the MTU of
the interface created by OpenConnect differs from the MTU of the
interface created by the official GP Linux client.

There doesn't seem to be much (if any) wiggle room in how the ESP
packets are formatted once the enc+MAC methods are specified, so I
don't see any way that the tunnel MTU could be the same, but the
on-the-wire ESP packets could differ in size.

Dan