Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: What throughput is reasonable?

On Thu, 2019-04-04 at 22:28 +0300, Daniel Lenski wrote:
> Taking a step back here…
>
> You and David have already resolved the issue with packets being
> dropped at a high rate, so *what else* could be left that's plausibly
> limiting the throughput of the VPN?

It's vaguely possible that OpenConnect is sending too-large packets
which get fragmented in transit, thus taking a lot more time. Although
I thought we eliminated that.

It's also possible that OpenConnect is *sometimes* but not consistently
keeping the sendq full, which is what my last request was about.

> The send-q results from netstat are kind of interesting: it looks
> like there's some fluctuation where the queue drops to zero, but most
> of the time it stays maxed out.

Right, but that's back to testing with NFS and I'd like to see the
results with UDP netperf. When the sendq was empty, the recvq was which
high.

I'm still aware that our packet handling is bursty and will always
handling incoming packets before outgoing (on both tun and udp).

Tony, can you try experimenting with the -Q option that sets the
maximum internal queue length? It's 10 by default; try 100 and try
lower values like 2 or 5.

It does only affect packets received from the tun device; we don't
ratelimit UDP input (on the basis that those are *already* in buffers
and there's no sane way to throttle those while leaving packets on the
tun sendq will make them visible to TCP).

> Can you try to isolate the difference and eliminate other variables
> by creating a VM, and then doing the samr tests back-to-back with the
> official client vs. OpenConnect?

Right, that's what I was trying to ask for in my last mail.