Certificate Validation Failure trying to connect to Cisco VPN with openconnect and PKCS11 certs on a CAC

On Mon, 2018-11-05 at 14:51 -0500, Adam Allgood wrote:
>  I have, however,
> successfully connected to the VPN with my CAC on a Windows test
> machine in the office using the Windows Cisco AnyConnect client, so I
> do not believe the problem is with the certs themselves.

The problem here is normally that your own cert is signed by an
intermediate CA which isn't known to the server. You have to provide
that intermediate on the wire, in order for the server to complete the
trust chain back to the root CA that it *does* have.

Can you capture the connection from the Windows box, when it succeeds?
Look how many certificates it presents.

If you have the correct intermediate CA available to OpenConnect, in a
--cafile argument or the standard system certificate store, it'll
explicitly make sure it includes it. It also looks for it in the
PKCS#11 token, which is why you see the 'no issuer in PKCS#11' message
which is normally harmless.