vpnc-script failing to route default gateway with split-tunnel on macOS?

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully used the official vpnc-script on macOS with a
split-tunnel VPN?
(git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/vpnc-scripts.git/blob/HEAD:/vpnc-script)

The reason I'm asking is because of an issue reported by multiple
users with openconnect+GlobalProtect:
https://github.com/dlenski/openconnect/issues/93

These users have found that the official vpnc-script fails to add an
explicit route to the local gateway, before creating the VPN
split-tunnel routes, causing all networking to fail? there's no route
to the VPN gateway, and all other traffic is routed via that gateway.
:-P

Dominik Strebel (cc'ed) was able to narrow down the problem further:

* A recent openconnect and vpnc-script works fine with any AnyConnect
VPN (that *does not* use split tunneling), but shows the above issue
with a GlobalProtect VPN that *does* use split tunneling.
* I've seen the environment variables set for the VPNs he's testing it
against. Everything looks perfectly reasonable in both cases. The only
meaningful differences that I see are that:
    (a) the GP VPN includes a "split"-tunnel with a default route (0.0.0.0/0)
    (b) the GP VPN has a /32 netmask (pretty normal with split-tunnel,
I think) while the AnyConnect VPN has a /24 netmask.

I suspect that there may be something which doesn't work quite right
in the set_vpngateway_route() function in the vpnc-script, but I don't
have a macOS system on which to test it.

Anyone else have experience with success/failure with openconnect +
vpnc-script + macOS + split-tunnel?

Thanks,
Dan

User's GP VPN with split tunnel:

CISCO_CSTP_OPTIONS=split-include=1.2.3.4/32
CISCO_DEF_DOMAIN=company.domain.com
CISCO_SPLIT_INC=3
CISCO_SPLIT_INC_0_ADDR=1.2.3.4
CISCO_SPLIT_INC_0_MASK=255.255.255.255
CISCO_SPLIT_INC_0_MASKLEN=32
CISCO_SPLIT_INC_1_ADDR=5.6.7.8
CISCO_SPLIT_INC_1_MASK=255.255.255.255
CISCO_SPLIT_INC_1_MASKLEN=32
CISCO_SPLIT_INC_2_ADDR=0.0.0.0
CISCO_SPLIT_INC_2_MASK=0.0.0.0
CISCO_SPLIT_INC_2_MASKLEN=0
INTERNAL_IP4_ADDRESS=10.0.0.99
INTERNAL_IP4_DNS=10.1.0.11 10.1.0.12
INTERNAL_IP4_MTU=1326
INTERNAL_IP4_NETADDR=10.0.0.99
INTERNAL_IP4_NETMASK=255.255.255.255
INTERNAL_IP4_NETMASKLEN=32
VPNGATEWAY=[address that's not in any of the subnets above]

User's AnyConnect VPN without split tunnel:

CISCO_BANNER=Welcome
CISCO_CSTP_OPTIONS=X-CSTP-Version=1
CISCO_DEF_DOMAIN=company.domain.com
INTERNAL_IP4_ADDRESS=10.0.0.99
INTERNAL_IP4_DNS=10.1.0.11 10.1.0.12
INTERNAL_IP4_MTU=1322
INTERNAL_IP4_NETADDR=10.0.0.0
INTERNAL_IP4_NETMASK=255.255.255.0
INTERNAL_IP4_NETMASKLEN=24
VPNGATEWAY=[address not in the subnet above]