Connecting to Pulse Secure results in SSL

On Aug 29, 2018 11:43 PM, "David Woodhouse" <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-08-29 at 15:13 -0400, Brandon Liles wrote:
> >
> > Read 3 bytes of SSL record
> > < 0000: 01 00 08
> > Server response to hostname packet is error 0x08
> > Creating SSL connection failed
>
> From distant memory, that seems remarkably like the error we were
> getting when it's configured only to let you have proxy web access, not
> an IP tunnel?
> This server definitely provides a full VPN if you use the "real"
> client?

You mentioned that on one of the previous incidences of this error,
and there too the user reported that the server *did* indeed provide
full connectivity:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/openconnect-devel/2015-March/002822.html

It's hard to tell what the common feature of all of the "error 0x08"
reports is ? possibly that they all require Host Checker / TNCC? Is it
possible that this error means something like, "you're trying to
connect the tunnel but haven't yet proven your very speshul securiteh
to Host Checker"?

What's confusing to me is that I thought Host Checker has to run
*before* the server will hand out a DSID cookie, and that once it does
no further special handling is needed.

Dan