"They never gave up on me, and so I didn't give up on myself"

In the first year of My Brother's Keeper, we've seen a tremendous response to the President's call to action.

A year ago, President Obama announced "My Brother's Keeper," a new initiative designed to address the opportunity gaps faced by too many young people in America, and boys and young men of color in particular. Yesterday, the My Brother’s Keeper Task Force was proud to release a report showing the progress we've made in the past 12 months.

When he announced this initiative last year, the President explained how he grew up in a "forgiving" environment, how the people around him in school and in his community pushed him to work and study hard.

"They never gave up on me, and so I didn't give up on myself," he said.

Today, the President is fighting to make sure that every child in America gets that same chance he had. And in the first year of this initiative, we've seen a tremendous response from people and organizations across government, communities, and the private sector that are helping to make that a reality.

Watch the President reflect on the first year of the My Brother's Keeper initiative, and learn more about the progress we've made so far. And if you want to help make a difference in a young person’s life, learn how you can get involved.

WATCH: The President reflects on My Brother's Keeper

The President understands that America is at its best when all of its young people are "on the playing field." And a number of communities, businesses, and individuals have answered his call to action to help expand opportunity to more of our boys and young men of color, and all youth.

Over the past year, federal agencies have announced dozens of grants, public-private partnerships, and official guidance that will help expand opportunity. More than 60 superintendents from our country's largest urban school districts have pledged to develop new strategies to help meet the objectives of My Brother's Keeper.

Nearly 200 mayors, tribal leaders, and county executives -- from 43 states and Washington, D.C. -- have accepted the MBK Community Challenge and committed to improve life outcomes for young people at the local level. And foundations, businesses, and social enterprises have already committed more than $300 million to advance the mission of My Brother's Keeper.

"If America stands for anything, it stands for the idea of opportunity for everybody," the President said. "The notion that no matter who you are, or where you came from, or the circumstances into which you are born, if you work hard, if you take responsibility, then you can make it in this country."

The President’s call to action has catalyzed a level of commitment that is creating hope and opportunity nationwide. We are proud of the progress made, but even more excited to continue working across sectors and at levels of government to transform lives and strengthen communities.

Read about the progress we've made in the first year of My Brother's Keeper, and how we're working to build hope and expand opportunity for more young people across the country.

Thank you,

Broderick

Broderick Johnson
Chair, My Brother's Keeper Task Force