Why good trade deals matter to a business like mine:

A look at how the most progressive trade deal in history could help America's online small businesses beat the competition.

Hi everyone,

The Trans-Pacific Partnership isn't just President Obama's proposed trade deal -- it's mine, too. It's a trade deal that millions of other online small business owners in this country would be proud to add their name to. I want to tell you why:

Every time I step through the doors of one of our 4,000-square-foot warehouses in Boulder and Denver, Colorado -- every time I see the bikes and cycling parts that line those walls and take in the energetic buzz of our 30-member team -- I take a step back and reflect on a simple fact: I own a business. It’s a "pinch-me" moment –- every time.

I am a cyclist and the proud co-owner of The Pro's Closet, an online used-cycling store. And because of the Internet and the availability of e-commerce platforms like eBay, we've gone global. After all, when it’s not cycling season in the U.S., it’s peak season somewhere else in the world.

International customers aren't just good for business abroad; they’re great for my Colorado communities. Why? Because selling in more markets means I can hire more people here at home. In fact, more small businesses are using the Internet to grow their business by reaching new customers they couldn't reach before.

This is why trade is so important to me. If the success of American businesses in the global economy is important to you, say you’re an ambassador for a better trade deal that delivers a brighter future for all of us.

It may seem like a really remote and technical issue, but it actually has a real impact on how small businesses like mine do business. Currently more than 40% of our transactions cross U.S. borders. Unfortunately, most of our trade rules were written in a "pre-Internet" era, which means they are a nightmare to navigate for small online businesses.

Here’s an example: Right now, customs rules are so inconsistent and hard to follow that if we put a cycling part in the wrong packaging or mail it with the wrong label, it won’t make it to our customer in one country. The rules are different for each country, and are sometimes set up in a way that completely blocks out American business.

That is why it is so important that we secure the Trans-Pacific Partnership, a new kind of trade agreement that will ensure America writes the rules and levels the playing field for online businesses and American workers by:

  • Reducing and eliminating tariffs across the Asia-Pacific region
  • Streamlining customs procedures
  • Making the rules more transparent, consistent, and less costly
  • Helping keep the Internet open and free, enabling online businesses to operate without unnecessary infrastructure costs

Of course, as the President has said, not all of our past trade deals have lived up to their promise. Thankfully, this trade deal is on track to be different. In fact, the Trans-Pacific Partnership is shaping up to be the most progressive trade deal the world has ever seen. Here’s why:

The TPP protects workers

The TPP protects our environment

The TPP protects an open and free Internet

I based my business on the principle of sustainability -- buying something "used" that already exists is the greenest way to shop. The Trans-Pacific Partnership seeks to do the same thing on a global scale. And that’s important to me not just because it is good policy, but because it means my company will compete on a level playing field.

The ins and outs of trade can be a bit daunting and in the weeds, especially for businesses that have to navigate the global economy to compete. But the impact is felt worldwide -- from a rural village in Vietnam to the pocketbooks of American workers here at home.

This is a “pinch-me” moment for Americans across the country. We have to seize the opportunity now, before another country like China beats us to it. Say you’re on our team.

Think big, act small.

Thanks for listening,

- Nick

Nick Martin