Today: Big Block of Cheese Day

The White House

Today: Big Block of Cheese Day

The White House has a long history of opening its doors -- digital or otherwise.

After President Thomas Jefferson's 1805 swearing-in ceremony at the U.S. Capitol, guests followed him home, forming one of our country's earliest inaugural parades in the process.

The Lincoln White House's stairways and halls were constantly packed with members of the public. Sometimes, they climbed through windows to get in.

And President Andrew Jackson -- as the White House's digital platforms have now immortalized -- had a 1,400-pound block of cheese in the main foyer of the White House for an open house event with thousands of citizens and staff. Anyone could take a bite.

We're here to let you know that level of access hasn't fundamentally changed. It just looks a little bit different now.

Welcome to the Second-Annual Big Block of Cheese Day, our virtual White House Open House. We're really excited you're here.

All day long, members of the Administration are taking to social media to answer your questions about the President's State of the Union Address last night, and whichever issue you care most about.

Here's what you can do to participate: Log on to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr, and ask away using the hashtag #AskTheWH. We'll do our very best to answer as many of your questions as we can.

President Jackson's Big Block of Cheese

Guests of President Andrew Jackson's 1837 open house -- and the 1,400 pound block of cheese.