It's not working for women...

Title: It's not working for women...

The White House, Washington

Our broken health care system that is. That’s right -- it’s not working for many women and their families.

In many states, insurance companies can still discriminate on the basis of gender -- and not just on costs. In some states, maternity care is not covered because pregnancy can be seen as a “pre-existing condition.” It’s even legal in some states to deny a woman coverage because she’s been a victim of domestic violence!

That’s not right. Nobody in America should be treated that way. That’s why First Lady Michelle Obama is standing up for women and families in this newest video. Take a look:

Watch the Video

With health insurance reform, the days of discrimination based on gender will be over. Insurance companies will be banned from denying coverage because of a pre-existing condition, or dropping your coverage when you get sick and need it most. They will have to cover preventive care like mammograms and pap smears. And they will be forced to abide by yearly caps on how much they can charge you for out-of-pocket expenses.

But we can’t make health insurance reform a reality without your help. As the First Lady says, talk to your family, your friends, your neighbors. Share this video with them and help get the word out about what’s at stake. It’ll take all of us working together to deliver the change we need on health care.

Thanks,
Nancy-Ann

Nancy-Ann DeParle
Director, White House Office of Health Reform

Visit WhiteHouse.gov

The White House • 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW • Washington, DC 20500 • 202-456-1111