NNTPC: Not working like I think it should.

--- Julian Assange <proff@iq.org> wrote:

> > nntpcahce 2.4.0b5, FreeBSD 4.4-stable
> >

> > I run a local INN server, and I'm trying to front it with nntpcache.  WIth
> > single backend server, it works fine.
> >
> > However, I decided to also get a backup reader connection from another news
> service
> > to test it and fill in the holes.
>
> It's not possible to have the same group bound to two different servers,
> due to conflicts in article numbering, xrefs etc.
>
> --
>  Julian Assange        |If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people
>                        |together to collect wood or assign them tasks and
>  proff@iq.org          |work, but rather teach them to long for the endless
>  proff@gnu.ai.mit.edu  |immensity of the sea. -- Antoine de Saint Exupery

Hi Julian,

I'm hoping that you'll consider adding "in the current design"
after "It's not possible."

1.  There must be some way to merge articles that have been
    acquired from different sources (tape backups, news servers,
    whatever) because DejaNews (now Google Groups) has already
    accomplished this.  nntpcache would need to do its own
    article numbering and maintain a file containing the
    last article number fetched for each news server/newsgroup
    combination.  For (a grossly oversimplified) example:

         alt.sysadmin.recovery:news.uk.example.com:38762
         alt.sysadmin.recovery:news.tw.example.com:4398

    Duplicate articles could be weeded out by using the
    article ID.

2.  I feel that this type of functionality would be very
    useful and would make nntpcache that much better than
    it is now.  If someone doesn't want to pay for access
    to a big Usenet news server, and their ISP's newsfeed
    isn't so great, they could use nntpcache to augment
    their ISP's news server with articles from news servers
    that are open to the public.  Since many public news
    servers are read-only, it would also be nice if
    nntpcache could be configured to "last ditch attempt"
    post to, for example, "post.usenet.com."  It would
    only do so if all of the news servers for a given
    newsgroup have been designated as "read only" in
    the nntpcache servers config file, or all attempts to
    post to the news servers that carry the newsgroup have
    failed (either because they're read-only, or they're down).
    In that event, post to "post.usenet.com" and if that
    fails, inform the newsreader that its article cannot
    be posted at the current time because no suitable
    news servers could be found to post to.

Just some thoughts.