Re: NNTPC: Expire and Minfree

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 10:05:56 +0100 (CET)
Sijbren Beukenkamp <sijbren@support.nl> wrote:

> Using the latest nntpcache version on a BSDi3.1 nntpcache
> does not seam to expire in time. The cache disk fills up
> and when it is full readers can not read anymore.
>
> I have set the minfreeblocks to 5000 (=2,5 Mb). When this is
> reached nntpcache should expire. Which is does not do.

Relatively new nntpcache installation here. But, the
first time my expire threshold was reached, expire
didn't do it's job and the parition filled up.

So, I sent nntpcached a USR2 signal to force it to
expire. Nothing removed. I checked my config file
and changed the setting for maxArtAge to something
really low (6h) and sent another USR2 signal. This
time it expired 126305 articles.

In my case, the expire time was set high enough
that no articles were removed. Alas, I am not sure
I trust the auto-expire triggers, though. So I have
a USR2 signal being sent to nntpcached out of cron
at midnight each night. Then it's a matter of
tuning the maxArtAge value to optimize disk space.
If the space-based configuration values do work
for expire, then they can be used as a failsafe
should the partition get too full before the
midnight expire run.

Kevin