Re: NNTPC: Log files

On Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:24:30 +1300
Alan Brown <alan@manawatu.gen.nz> wrote:

> At 09:58 31/12/97 +0100, Sijbren Beukenkamp wrote:
> >
> >Nntpcache creates 2 major log files:
> >news.notice and news.err
>
> It uses syslog to do so.
>
> >Is there an other way to rotate them other then killing
> >and restarting nntpcache again.
>
> Rotate them and HUP syslogd.

I prefer the approach taken by the scanlogs shell
script from the INN distribution. For syslog files,
use :

cp ${SYSLOG_FILE} ${OLD}/${SYSLOG_FILE}
cat /dev/null > ${SYSLOG_FILE}

This works much better on a machine that does
it's own syslog file management, such as DEC
UNIX. My news.notice file does not exist in
the same place as the rest of the syslog files.

Kevin