Re: NNTPC: flushing out bogus groups?

alan@manawatu.gen.nz (Alan Brown) writes:

> This has come up before under a slightly different discussion.
>
> My prime feedsite accidentally added shitloads of groups with illegal
> characters in them ( @ ; < >, etc. )
>
> These have been manually flushed, but nntpcached insists these groups still
> exist, which is causing many programs to GPF or coredump when they try to
> parse the active and newsgroups lists.
>
> A restart did _not_ remove them, nor did a SIGUSR1.

A newsgroup for which once an entry has been created in cache.mmap,
does not disappear from this file any more.  Deleted newsgroups
therefore keep occurring in active lists from nntpcache.

The solution is to stop all nntpcache processes, to remove the memory
mapped file (see your mmapFile in your config-file, normally
cache.mmap) and to restart nntpcache which will create a clean file
from scratch. It seems a good idea to me to do this every night in a
cron job.

Best regards,
Hugo

				Hugo Embrechts
			        Ludit, W. de Croylaan 52A, B-3001 Heverlee
			        Hugo.Embrechts@kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be
    			        016 / 32 27 85 (Tel.),  32 29 99 (Fax.)