flushing out bogus groups?

This has come up before under a slightly different discussion.

My prime feedsite accidentally added shitloads of groups with illegal
characters in them ( @ ; < >, etc. )

These have been manually flushed, but nntpcached insists these groups still
exist, which is causing many programs to GPF or coredump when they try to
parse the active and newsgroups lists.

A restart did _not_ remove them, nor did a SIGUSR1.

I now have several hundred pissed off readers and the problem needs fixing
fast, preferably without having to resort to blowing away the spool and
starting over.

Anyone got ideas on how to remove 'em?

AB