Re: NNTPC: Problem with expire under Solaris 2.4

> > Thank you.  This is all well and good, however, how does one then correct
> > the base problem of the program using a BSD library call in an SVR4 environment?
>
> The base problem isn't bcopy, it's readdir(). This exists in both SVR and
> BSD.

This still doesn't say how to make it work.

I am now in the process of attempting to methodically track down and
fix the *APPARENT* problems.  First of all, before I can do anything else,
I have to get the code to compile and link.  The obvious way to get a
program that wants a BSD library routine to link is to point it at the
UCB libraries.  Given your assertion that this should not be done without
saying what *SHOULD* be done, I have now gone in and found that if one
moves the code around a little in mrealloc.c then adding #define HAVE_MEMMOVE
to config.h will at least get the code to compile and link.

Now it appears that nntpcache.c calls getopt after calling something called
setproctitle that appears to be trashing the argv array.  My next step in
a methodological step by step process is to fix this problem and my first
inclination is to move the code around in nntpcache.c to process the argv
array before calling setproctitle.  This trashing of argv is causing a
segment violation when getopt is called.

I would be perfectly happy, however, to be told exactly what has to be done
to get the damn program to work in a Solaris 2.4 environment.  I really don't
have time to debug someone else's code and this installation is being done
on a freenet machine where I am *NOT* being paid for my time.
--
O- J. Anthony Fitzgerald, jaf@UNB.ca, http://www.unb.ca/csd/staff/jaf/ -O