Re: NNTPC: Wish list

> * The active file for my main newsfeed (active.news1.ucsd.edu) is
> updated according to the expire time listed in the "nntpcache.servers"
> file.  However, the main "active" file isn't then updated until I send the
> server a -USR1 signal.  Am I missing something in the documentation?

The main active file will only updated if the hash of the server
active file has changed. Can you provide the logs? You should see something
like collating active.news1.ucsd.edu -> active.tmp

> Shouldn't nntpcache notice that it has updated info from all its
> servers and should hence rebuild its active-file cache without prompting?

Yep.

> * I'm a little confused about the Xref: handling.  From the way I read
> the source (in article.c), my server could report an Xref: to a group
> that it doesn't handle (as specified in nntpcache.servers), and the
> article.c code will happily insert a symlink from that bogus newsgroup.

It does, unfortunately. I'm working on this already. It involves
splitting up the cache into per-server trees.

> If this is correct, is there an easy way to fix this?

Do you have a sister you can donate to a good cause?

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons