Re: NNTPC: Wish list

> Cachers,
>
> Any wish lists for 1.0 (other than what is already in the TODO file)?
>
> Those people using nntpcache on big servers, how are you finding its
> demands on system resources? vis memory, disk & cpu? Is there a need for
> improvement here?

I've been using nntpcache 0.87 for 4 days now, and I'm thoroughly impressed.
I have noticed a few quirks, however:

* The active file for my main newsfeed (active.news1.ucsd.edu) is
updated according to the expire time listed in the "nntpcache.servers"
file.  However, the main "active" file isn't then updated until I send the
server a -USR1 signal.  Am I missing something in the documentation?

Shouldn't nntpcache notice that it has updated info from all its
servers and should hence rebuild its active-file cache without prompting?

* I'm a little confused about the Xref: handling.  From the way I read
the source (in article.c), my server could report an Xref: to a group
that it doesn't handle (as specified in nntpcache.servers), and the
article.c code will happily insert a symlink from that bogus newsgroup.

If this is correct, is there an easy way to fix this?

Thanks for all the good work,

-- Adam

--
Adam Tilghman  +1 619 457 3064    Currently reading:
 adam@mib.org  Pager: 965 1434         "1967 Annotated Calif. Vehicle Code"