NNTPC: overview.fmt & Xref:full

Duncan Sinclair wrote:

> Will nntpc know to put in the full "Xref: " before the header, complete
> with a correct node name?  Also, for newsreaders looking for it, will
> nntpc put "Xref:full" in its "list overview.fmt"?

Yes and no.  I haven't come across a situation where the newsreader would act
differently on 'Xref:full' compared to 'Xref'.

> A quick grep over the source suggests that nntpc doesn't recognise "full"
> and so won't handle it differently.  It also seems that it has no way
> to store and output the "full" part of the overview.fmt info.

Right.

> The only comment I can find in the source is that nntpcache does not
> handle crossposted xovers for disk performance reasons - I don't understand
> this.  Can't it just treat xref info like other xover data (modulo the
> changes required for consistency)?  I'm not expecting it to record the

I don't understand, its Xref line should always be the same as the one
obtained from the remote server.

--
Debian GNU/Linux 1.2 is out! { http://www.debian.org/ }
Email:  Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@greathan.apana.org.au>