NNTPC: Keep active etc. on disk?

Bill Warner wrote:

> I'm curious.  Why doesn't nntpcache keep a copies of the active,
> active.times, and newsgroups files on disk (or at least write them out on
> shutdown)?  Then on startup it could read them in, and even though they may
> be a little bit dated, begin to serve requests using that info.

It's supposed to work that way, that's one reason why nntpcache needs mmap to
work.  Unfortunately the code that is needed to reuse the active & co are
missing in the current version.

> As it stands now nntpcache does not begin to answer requests until the
> "update daemon" has finished.  Also, if the initial update fails for some
> reason then you are dead-in-the-water until new active files can be
> fetched.  Wouldn't having an on disk copy that could be read at startup be
> helpful here?

Actually this might be a bug.  nntpcache should be functional even without
reading the whole active file.  It just needs to read the overview stuff.
--
Debian GNU/Linux 1.2 is out! { http://www.debian.org/ }
Email:  Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@greathan.apana.org.au>