NNTPC: Keep active etc. on disk?

Hi folks,

I'm curious.  Why doesn't nntpcache keep a copies of the active,
active.times, and newsgroups files on disk (or at least write them out on
shutdown)?  Then on startup it could read them in, and even though they may
be a little bit dated, begin to serve requests using that info.

As it stands now nntpcache does not begin to answer requests until the
"update daemon" has finished.  Also, if the initial update fails for some
reason then you are dead-in-the-water until new active files can be
fetched.  Wouldn't having an on disk copy that could be read at startup be
helpful here?

Also, I tried to get to ftp.nntpcache.org today but got "Unknown host".  It
turns out that the nntpcache.org domain is on hold...

ADSO (NNTPCACHE-DOM)
   PO BOX 2031
   Barker, VIC 3122
   Australia

   Domain Name: NNTPCACHE.ORG
   Domain Status: On Hold

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact, Billing Contact:
      Assange, Julian  (JA3-AU)  proff@FOUR.NET
      61-3-9819-9066 61-3-9819-9066 (FAX (FA (FAX) +61 3 752 3432

   Record last updated on 03-Mar-97.
   Record created on 30-May-96.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.SUBURBIA.NET		203.4.184.1
   NS2.SUBURBIA.NET		198.142.2.24

The InterNIC Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet Information
(Networks, ASN's, Domains, and POC's).
Please use the whois server at nic.ddn.mil for MILNET Information.