NNTPC: Clients disconnecting prematurely.

Hi all!
> From: Nick Holloway <Nick.Holloway@alfie.demon.co.uk>
> Date: Friday, March 07, 1997 11:02 AM
>
> Most of the entries logged by nntpcache are caused by clients that either
> just disconnect without saying QUIT, or say QUIT and don't wait for the
> response (I suspect Mozilla as the primary culprit).
>
> Here is a small patch to lower the priority of this message.

I also sometimes get this message -- not always.  I also get some other
seemingly off-the-track log entries -- i.e. I can't logically link the
error message (like Illegal seek/No child proc/No such file) with the
supposed cause. I can send a syslog to someone with enough understanding
and time to find the cause. I feel that these might be related to some
subtle memory corruption or suchlike. They do not usually affect things
from the user viewpoint, though. Anyway, I do not think that lowering the
priority so that messages do not show is a wise course.

While I am at it, a couple of questions:
1) why nntpcache-update takes so much time for update? Does it reloads a
full LIST ACTIVE every time?
2) is setproctitle stuff supposed to work in 1.0.3? I do not see anything
special in 'ps ax'
3) I have a sneaky feeling that it does not show me all the new groups when
newsreader checks them. Might it indeed be so?

Sorry if the tone of my message sounds too 'user/customer'. Actually, it's
a great and very useful program. I just have no time/knowledge (they are
interchangeable to the extent) to fix these myself.

CU		Genie