NNTPC: Why is the disk article format different from INN?

I'm wondering why the on-disk article format for nntpcache is different
from INN (nntpcache uses \r\n at the end of each line while INN uses a
standard Unix \n). I can see why you would want to do this in order
to perform as little processing as possible from the disk read to the
network write - but in that case, why not also store the terminating
".\r\n"?

(Why am I wondering about this? I was looking at the possibility of
converting an existing INN based server into an nntpcache server, and
keeping the old article spool while converting the history database.
The different on-disk formats look like enough of a stumbling block
that I have shelved that project for now.)