Re: NNTPC: Feature request: stdout instead of syslog

Yes, I'm familiar with syslogd.
Yes, I'm familiar with newsyslog.  On FreeBSD.
Yes, I'm familiar with logrotate.  On Linux.
Yes, I'm aware that logrotate is
available as an add-on package
from sunfreeware.com.              For Solaris.

However, having used syslogd+(newsyslog|logrotate),
and having used multilog (and Dan Bernstein's other
tools), I find multilog to be far superior to syslogd,
so I use it whenever possible.  In the case of
nntpcached, if my feature request is summarily
discarded, I intend simply to hack log.h to my
liking.

On the second point, nntpcached is NOT dying unexpectedly
on me.  For the entire 323,685 seconds that I've been
running nntpcached, its uptime has been rock-solid.  For
all I know, the nntpcached process will run for the next
ten years without a hiccup.  However, my level of comfort
is increased by knowing that should an unlikely, unforeseen
event happen, and nntpcached should go kaput, daemontools
will automatically restart it, and I'll receive an
e-mail notice the next day rather than a 3am call
from a user.

Another thing that I like about using daemontools
is documentation for junior SysAdmins.  I can
write something like

Usenet news server
  start               svc -u /service/news
  stop                svc -d /service/news
  bounce              svc -t /service/news
  reconfig            svc -h /service/news
  check status        svstat /service/news
  log file location   /var/log/news/current

Pretty much all of the add-on services on our
different boxes (FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris) are
controlled consistently, will start automatically
at system boot time (via svscan), and will
restart automatically upon unexpected death.

To each his own, I guess.