Re: NNTPC: clarification of features?

Hello Kelsey,

KC> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 09:18:02PM -0400, ljason wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Kelsey Cummings wrote:
>>
>> > Is it possible to configure nntpcache such that our local
>> > news server would always be checked for the article before
>> > supernews...
>> [snip]
>> > Does this make sense?
>>
>> It definitely makes sense - when I first read through the server config
>> file, I was led to believe that nntpcache did this, but I'm afraid it
>> doesn't.  If I recall, the question was posed a while back on this list,
>> and Julian confirmed that you can only specify one server for a given
>> newsgroup or hierarchy.
>>
>> I would certainly love to see this functionality; I've found it in a
>> couple of Windoze-only newsreaders, but I have yet to find a proxy server
>> that will do the right thing.  I've actually been trudging through the
>> muck of Virtual PC and win95 on a pre-G3 PowerMac just to be able to do
>> this, and it's not pretty.  A civilized approach is definitely called for.
>>
>> Anyone know of a caching proxy news server that does the hierarchical-
>> servers thing?

KC> Not I.  But I sure would like to!  We have one programmer here that
KC> might be willing to give nntpcache's source a once over to see if he
KC> could add this feature.

Does NNTPCache track by message ID or record number? The problem is
that the record number on the local server is different then that on
Supernews. If it's by message ID (which I don't expect) then this
isn't really an issue since the message ID is the same for the same
post across the world.

In Newsbin, each post has an associated array of server/record number
tags so, I can switch from server to server looking for the posts that
might be 423 on one server but, available on another. I experimented
with retrieving posts by message ID but, too many servers didn't implement it
correctly.

So to add multiple server support, you'd have to normalize the record
number for all the posts available on the N servers that are checked
and map the normalized record number to the server/record arrays that
tell you where these posts are on the individual servers. Then check
the cache, then local server and then Supernews. Most of this might
be in there, I've only given the source a cursory glance.

Conrad