Re: NNTPC: clarification of features?

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Kelsey Cummings wrote:

> Is it possible to configure nntpcache such that our local
> news server would always be checked for the article before
> supernews...
[snip]
> Does this make sense?

It definitely makes sense - when I first read through the server config
file, I was led to believe that nntpcache did this, but I'm afraid it
doesn't.  If I recall, the question was posed a while back on this list,
and Julian confirmed that you can only specify one server for a given
newsgroup or hierarchy.

I would certainly love to see this functionality; I've found it in a
couple of Windoze-only newsreaders, but I have yet to find a proxy server
that will do the right thing.  I've actually been trudging through the
muck of Virtual PC and win95 on a pre-G3 PowerMac just to be able to do
this, and it's not pretty.  A civilized approach is definitely called for.

Anyone know of a caching proxy news server that does the hierarchical-
servers thing?

thanks.

cheers,

 -ljason