New User Installation question

Folks,

 When I build nntpcache, how do I make it take the values for installation
from the cf/nnconf.cf file? I've edited that file to put everything under
my nntpcache user's home directory, but when I type "make install" it just
goes ahead as splatters everything across the system file area
(/usr/local/etc, /usr/local/var and so on).

This is the fourth time I've tried the build, with the same result every
time, so I have not a small amount of smoke coming out of my ears.

I'm running under Solaris 8 on a Sparc Ultra5, if it makes any difference.

This is my first experiment with NNTPCache, so forgive me if I'm doing
something obviously wrong. I'm just following the instructions in the
INSTALL document that came with the package. This is nntpcache-2.3.3, by
the way.

Cheers,

Dave Smith