Filters not working in 2.5.0b5?

Well, I can't get to the list archives for whatever reason, and the docs are
<ahem> sparse, so here's the question.  I'm using nntpcached 2.5.0b5, on
NetBSD, from NetBSD's pkgsrc collection.

My nntpcache.config has "groupSecurity on", "contentFilters on",
"xoverFilters on", and is otherwise nearly identical to the example
nntpcache.config with the exception of commented out "ihave*" directives and
all logging turned on.

I put in some really simple filters in my spam.filters file; the file is
listed in all my access entries, and is being read.  Here's the
nntpcache.access file (indented here only):

    * * deny
    localhost * read,post,filter spam.filter

I've verified that it is being read in, by inserting a malformed regex into
the filter file, which correctly results in an error.  And here's the
spam.filters file (indented here only):

    Subject: 10001 nocase .
    ahead 10001 nocase .

Yes, that's a single `.', and thus should match *anything*.  I've tried
several filters, whittling down to this just to see if it would work.  So I
start nntpcached with a clean cache dir (rebuilding everything from
scratch), telnet to localhost port 119, go into a group, and do:

    xover <firstmessage>-<lastmessage>

And lo and behold, the xover info for every post *does* appear.  (Same goes
for "xhdr Subject ...".)  Nothing got filtered.  So I try retrieving headers
of a message:

    head <firstmessage>

and the headers appear.

So... are filters actually working in 2.5.0b5?  Is something missing in my
config?

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)