From: Bryan Guest [mailto:bryang@bmts.com]
Time: luned́ 12 marzo 2001 18.09
To: nntpcache-users@suburbia.net
Subject: NNTPC: clients hang on reset-list operation?

Hello:

I run NNTPCache-2.3.3 on Solaris 2.6.

Until recently I was pulling news from our bandwidth provider, but they
began limiting my maximum connections to 5 so we had to go to a third
party service.

This new service has 30,000 more groups than the original provider.

Since switching to the new provider, when clients attempt to
reset/refresh their list of available groups, they get all the way
through the list (84,377 groups), and then hang.

It is as if the client software (Netscape messenger or Outlook Express)
is waiting for a response from the remote server that signals the end of
the group list, that never arrives.

The only change I have made to the configuration is in the
nntpcache.servers file, from :

news.bellglobal.com   DEFAULT 4h      2d      2d      30m     60d
60d
%BeginGroups
# Group pattern Host
*               news.bellglobal.com

To :

pull.newsfeeds.com   DEFAULT 4h      2d      2d      30m     60d     60d
%BeginGroups
# Group pattern Host
*               pull.newsfeeds.com

Is there a setting in nntpcache.config that could affect this, or have I
configured something wrong in this nntpache.servers file?

Bryan Guest
bryan.guest@bmts.com
sys admin:BMTS/BMI Internet