Re: 'Not bound to this server'

"Haji, Mohmed" <HajiM@logica.com> writes:

> Hello Julian,
>
> OK. This is the situation.
>
> I have properly killed off  the nntpcache application by
> deleting cache.mmap
> killing the nntpccahe process IDs
>
> But, I am still having problems with the servers file
>
> What I have done is put in a wildcard entry
> *		news.unina.it.
>
> What I would like to do is 2 things.
> First, have some kind of redundancy in case this public news server fails
> Second, be able to pull off specific newsgroups from another server on my
> list if my 'main' one fails
>
> So, I have a list of news servers as follows
> news.unina.it.
> 195.204.134.138
>
> Then I have a wild card entry
> *		news.unina.it.
>
> I have also put in an entry
> alt.cellular.*		195.204.134.138
>
> I then kill nntpcache and then run it again. When I try to connect via
> Outlook Express, I get the message "failed server rebuild".
>
> Why is this happening ? Are you not allowed to have newsgroups that are
> subsets of a wild card entry being got from another news server (like I have
> above)?

Subsets are fine. Provided the more specific set is mentioned after
the more general set. What does the statistics port tell you about these
news servers? My guess is that one of these servers isn't co-operating with
nntpcache correctly. Check your syslogs.

> Also, how can I add redundancy ? Will the cache automatically try the second
> news server listed in nntpccahe.servers if the first fails ?

No, not unless it's a more specific subset. The problem here is that different
news servers have different article numbering (including cross posts, xovers etc),
so fall-over is only possible where the two news servers use article number mirroring.
In this case, it's simpler to just use a rotary DNS->IP to achieve the effect.
(one of the nice things about nntpcache, btw, as all caches are guarenteed to use
the same article numbering, given similar configurations).

Cheers,
Julian.