Problems

Hello everyone,

We have a number of probelms with our version of the nntpcache software
(v2.3. I've listed some of the problems we have been having.
*	A news group called uk.rec.sailing has large holes in it.  On a
typical day this newsgroup shows one or two postings when the client
(Outlook Express) points to our news cache but when viewed using Deja
(www.deja.com)  twenty plus new postings are seen. Why the discrepancy ?
*	Slow responses; some groups more so than others. Requests timeout.
Groups in the uk. hierarchy seem worst.
*	Lost connections. Often a message similar to "connection lost, news
server down?" or "no response, news server down?" appears. This happens most
often in the morning and then it's not possible to get another connection
for awhile. Sometimes can't get a connection all day.
*	Missing posts. Loads of incoming articles don't appear, and
posted/outgoing messages don't get out. Again groups in the uk, hierarchy
are amongst the worst I've noticed. uk.media.uk.sky is one example with our
server having only half a dozen articles over the last couple of days, but
in the real world there are a couple of dozen posts per day which can be
seen at deja.com.
*	Missing groups. Some groups that were available on the old cache
don't appear at all on the new cache. For instance uk.tech.digital-tv. I
suppose I could just add more servers to the nntpcache.servers file but has
anyone got any other ideas why the cache can't get it form a server that is
supposed to be carrying this newsgroup ? Also, does anyone know which are
good public news servers ?
*	Postings to comp.dcom.telecom and comp.risks in the cuurent news
service are incomplete. For example, if I load all articles held by our news
cache in comp.dcom.telecom it shows a total of 3 articles dated from 1
August to today (using either News Express or Outlook Express), but Deja
shows 41.

 Are there any configuration parameters I can set in any of the nntp cache
files that could solve some of these problems ?

Thanks a lot for helping me out in any case.

Regards,
Mohmed.