Problems starting up nntpcache

Hi

I have just installed nntpcache, but I am having problems getting it
started.

I have set up all config files (I hope)

When I run nntpcached, It displays the copyright message.

I do ps auwx and see that it is (trying to?) retrieve the active etc
files from my upstream news server.

After a while, that process goes away, and the only process to do with
nntpcache is

news      1033  0.0  0.2 67096 1020 ?        S    13:04   0:00
nntpcache: waiting for connections

So I assume, it has updated all files.  However, when I telnet to port
119, I get
marduk:~# telnet news 119
Trying 196.3.167.132...
Connected to nntp01.uskonet.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
503 initial server rebuild in progress (0 groups complete), please try
again later.
Connection closed by foreign host.

So it seems not to be ready yet.  How long should it be taking?  Or is
there some other problem?

--
Chris Picton
Usko Communications Systems Developer